Friday, November 16, 2007

Maria Lopez

I'm pretty sure we have all watched one of the many court room T.V. shows that have been such a big hit during daytime television in the past decade or so.
Well, that being said, I was watching "Judge Maria Lopez" the other day and she became extremely aggressive towards an African American man because of some lyrics he wrote in a few of his songs. She goes on to tell him that his music is violent and wrong and so forth and so on and he eventually loses the case. This struck me as extremely over opinionated on the judges part especially because our legal system should be completely unbiased. I believe that these shows might set the precedent on how our society views our legal system which could in turn cause lack of trust and faith by the people of America.
I now believe that if I ever "get sued" that I may end up losing the case simply because of the way I dress or what my views on certain issues may be. This should not be the situation. Our legal system should be blind and unbiased, I believe that if we continue to let these shows continue to manipulate our legal system for entertainment then we could be in a bad situation in the future.

No comments: